Nanoemulsion as Novel Drug Delivery System: Development, Characterization and Application
A dispersed nano-system with droplet sizes as small as submicrons is called a nanoemulsion. Nanoemulsions are thermodynamically stable, transparent, isotropic liquid mixtures of oil, water, surfactant, and co-surfactant. Nanoemulsion typically has droplet sizes between 20 and 200 nanometer. The size and composition of the scattered particles in a continuous phase are the primary distinctions between an emulsion and a nanoemulsion. This approach is intended to alleviate some of the issues that low bioavailability and noncompliance, two issues with traditional drug delivery systems, bring up.Today, nano emulsion can be created for a number of administration routes. A nano emulsion formulation can be considered an effective, secure, and patient-compliant pharmaceutical delivery method. Nowadays, nano emulsions have attracted a lot of interest in pharmacotherapy, dosage form design, and research. A surfactant and a cosurfactant can preserves the stability components of nanoemulsion. Brief details on the types, preparation process, stability, assessment, and applications of nanoemulsion are provided in this review.
2. Zhu L, Li M, Dong J, Jin Y. Dimethyl silicone dry nanoemulsion inhalations: formulation study and anti-acute lung injury effect. International Journal of Pharmaceutics. 2015 Aug 1;491(1-2):292-8.
3. Başpınar Y, Gündoğdu E, Köksal Ç, Karasulu E. Pitavastatin-containing nanoemulsions: Preparation, characterization and in vitro cytotoxicity. Journal of Drug Delivery Science and Technology. 2015 Oct 1;29:117-24.
4. Bhatt P, Madhav S. A detailed review on nanoemulsion drug delivery system. International Journal of Pharmaceutical sciences and research. 2011 Oct 1;2(10):2482.
5. Beard KW. Internet addiction: a review of current assessment techniques and potential assessment questions. CyberPsychology&Behavior. 2005 Feb 1;8(1):7-14.
6. Basha SP, Rao KP, Vedantham C. A brief introduction to methods of preparation, applications and characterization of nanoemulsion drug delivery systems. Indian journal of research in pharmacy and biotechnology. 2013 Jan 1;1(1):25.
7. Bhatt P, Madhav S. A detailed review on nanoemulsion drug delivery system. International Journal of Pharmaceutical sciences and research. 2011 Oct 1;2(10):2482.
8. Nigade PM, Patil SL, Tiwari SS. Self emulsifying drug delivery system (SEDDS): A review. Int J Pharm Biol Sci. 2012 Apr;2(2):42-52.
9. Kumar S. Role of nano-emulsion in pharmaceutical sciences-a review. AJRPSB. 2014;2(1):1-5.
10. Bhosale RR, Osmani RA, Ghodake PP, Shaikh SM, Chavan SR. Nanoemulsion: A review on novel profusion in advanced drug delivery. Indian Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biological Research. 2014 Jan 1;2(1):122.
11. Jaiswal M, Dudhe R, Sharma PK. Nanoemulsion: an advanced mode of drug delivery system. 3 Biotech. 2015 Apr;5(2):123-7.
12. Gupta PK, Pandit JK, Kumar A, Swaroop P, Gupta S. Pharmaceutical nanotechnology novel nanoemulsion-high energy emulsification preparation, evaluation and application. The Pharma Research. 2010;3(3):117-38.
13. Ghosh V, Mukherjee A, Chandrasekaran N. Ultrasonic emulsification of food-grade nanoemulsion formulation and evaluation of its bactericidal activity. Ultrasonics sonochemistry. 2013 Jan 1;20(1):338-44.
14. Schwarz JC, Klang V, Karall S, Mahrhauser D, Resch GP, Valenta C. Optimisation of multiple W/O/W nanoemulsions for dermal delivery of aciclovir. International journal of pharmaceutics. 2012 Oct 1;435(1):69-75.
15. Ryu KA, Park PJ, Kim SB, Bin BH, Jang DJ, Kim ST. Topical delivery of coenzyme Q10-loaded microemulsion for skin regeneration. Pharmaceutics. 2020 Apr 7;12(4):332.
16. Ahmad N, Alam MA, Ahmad FJ, Sarafroz M, Ansari K, Sharma S, Amir M. Ultrasonication techniques used for the preparation of novel Eugenol-Nanoemulsion in the treatment of wounds healings and anti-inflammatory. Journal of drug delivery science and technology. 2018 Aug 1;46:461-73.
17. Sharma B, Iqbal B, Kumar S, Ali J, Baboota S. Resveratrol-loaded nanoemulsion gel system to ameliorate UV-induced oxidative skin damage: from in vitro to in vivo investigation of antioxidant activity enhancement. Archives of dermatological research. 2019 Dec;311(10):773-93.
18. Puglia C, GiusyTirendi G, Bonina F. Emerging role of colloidal drug delivery systems (CDDS) in NSAID topical administration. Current Medicinal Chemistry. 2013 May 1;20(14):1847-57.
19. Dehelean CA, Feflea S, Gheorgheosu D, Ganta S, Cimpean AM, Muntean D, Amiji MM. Anti-angiogenic and anti-cancer evaluation of betulin nanoemulsion in chicken chorioallantoic membrane and skin carcinoma in Balb/c mice. Journal of Biomedical Nanotechnology. 2013 Apr 1;9(4):577-89.
20. Shakeel F, Haq N, Al-Dhfyan A, Alanazi FK, Alsarra IA. Chemoprevention of skin cancer using low HLB surfactant nanoemulsion of 5-fluorouracil: A preliminary study. Drug delivery. 2015 May 19;22(4):573-80.
21. Gokhale JP, Mahajan HS, Surana SJ. Quercetin loaded nanoemulsion-based gel for rheumatoid arthritis: In vivo and in vitro studies. Biomedicine & Pharmacotherapy. 2019 Apr 1;112:108622.
22. Ahmad N, Ahmad R, Al-Qudaihi A, Alaseel SE, Fita IZ, Khalid MS, Pottoo FH. Preparation of a novel curcumin nanoemulsion by ultrasonication and its comparative effects in wound healing and the treatment of inflammation. RSC advances. 2019;9(35):20192-206.
23. Lv X, Liu T, Ma H, Tian Y, Li L, Li Z, Gao M, Zhang J, Tang Z. Preparation of essential oil-based microemulsions for improving the solubility, pH stability, photostability, and skin permeation of quercetin. AapsPharmscitech. 2017 Nov;18(8):3097-104.
24. Pleguezuelos-Villa M, Nácher A, Hernández MJ, Buso MO, Sauri AR, Díez-Sales O. Mangiferinnanoemulsions in treatment of inflammatory disorders and skin regeneration. International Journal of Pharmaceutics. 2019 Jun 10;564:299-307.
25. Shakeel F, Baboota S, Ahuja A, Ali J, Faisal MS, Shafiq S. Stability evaluation of celecoxib nanoemulsion containing Tween 80. Thai J Pharm Sci. 2008;32:4-9.
26. Gupta PK, Pandit JK, Kumar A, Swaroop P, Gupta S. Pharmaceutical nanotechnology novel nanoemulsion-high energy emulsification preparation, evaluation and application. The Pharma Research. 2010;3(3):117-38.
27. Singh KK, Vingkar SK. Formulation, antimalarial activity and biodistribution of oral lipid nanoemulsion of primaquine. International Journal of Pharmaceutics. 2008 Jan 22;347(1-2):136-43.
28. Akhter S, Jain GK, Ahmad FJ, Khar RK, Jain N, Khan ZI, Talegaonkar S. Investigation of nanoemulsion system for transdermal delivery of domperidone: ex-vivo and in vivo studies. Current Nanoscience. 2008 Nov 1;4(4):381-90.
29. Goh PS, Ng MH, Choo YM, Nasrulhaq Boyce A, Chuah CH. Production of nanoemulsions from palm-based tocotrienol rich fraction by microfluidization. Molecules. 2015 Nov 5;20(11):19936-46.
30. Gurpreet K, Singh SK. Review of nanoemulsion formulation and characterization techniques. Indian Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2018 Aug 31;80(5):781-9.
31. Calligaris S, Plazzotta S, Bot F, Grasselli S, Malchiodi A, Anese M. Nanoemulsion preparation by combining high pressure homogenization and high power ultrasound at low energy densities. Food Research International. 2016 May 1;83:25-30.
32. Kaur K, Kumar R, Mehta SK. Formulation of saponin stabilized nanoemulsion by ultrasonic method and its role to protect the degradation of quercitin from UV light. Ultrasonics sonochemistry. 2016 Jul 1;31:29-38.
33. Meng L, Xia X, Yang Y, Ye J, Dong W, Ma P, Jin Y, Liu Y. Co-encapsulation of paclitaxel and baicalein in nanoemulsions to overcome multidrug resistance via oxidative stress augmentation and P-glycoprotein inhibition. International Journal of Pharmaceutics. 2016 Nov 20;513(1-2):8-16.
34. Devarajan V, Ravichandran VJ. Nanoemulsions: as modified drug delivery tool. Int J Compr Pharm. 2011;2(4):1-6.
35. Bhosale RR, Osmani RA, Ghodake PP, Shaikh SM, Chavan SR. Nanoemulsion: A review on novel profusion in advanced drug delivery. Indian Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biological Research. 2014 Jan 1;2(1):122.
36. Guglielmini G. Nanostructured novel carrier for topical application. Clinics in dermatology. 2008 Jul 1;26(4):341-6.
37. Kaur CD, Nahar M, Jain NK. Lymphatic targeting of zidovudine using surface-engineered liposomes. Journal of drug targeting. 2008 Jan 1;16(10):798-805.
38. Takemoto K, Yamamoto Y, Ueda Y, Sumita Y, Yoshida K, Niki Y. Comparative studies on the efficacy of AmBisome and Fungizone in a mouse model of disseminated aspergillosis. Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy. 2004 Feb 1;53(2):311-7.
39. Sanna V, Gavini E, Cossu M, Rassu G, Giunchedi P. Solid lipid nanoparticles (SLN) as carriers for the topical delivery of econazole nitrate: in-vitro characterization, ex-vivo and in-vivo studies. Journal of pharmacy and pharmacology. 2007 Aug;59(8):1057-64.
40. Jain KK. Applications of nanobiotechnology in clinical diagnostics. Clinical chemistry. 2007 Nov 1;53(11):2002-9.
41. Turos E, Shim JY, Wang Y, Greenhalgh K, Reddy GS, Dickey S, Lim DV. Antibiotic-conjugated polyacrylate nanoparticles: new opportunities for development of anti-MRSA agents. Bioorganic & medicinal chemistry letters. 2007 Jan 1;17(1):53-6.
42. Pandey R, Khuller GK. Oral nanoparticle-based antituberculosis drug delivery to the brain in an experimental model. Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy. 2006 Jun 1;57(6):1146-52.
43. Shah LK, Amiji MM. Intracellular delivery of saquinavir in biodegradable polymeric nanoparticles for HIV/AIDS. Pharmaceutical research. 2006 Nov;23(11):2638-45.
44. Abeylath SC, Turos E, Dickey S, Lim DV. Glyconanobiotics: Novel carbohydrated nanoparticle antibiotics for MRSA and Bacillus anthracis. Bioorganic & medicinal chemistry. 2008 Mar 1;16(5):2412-8.
45. Fornaguera C, Feiner-Gracia N, Calderó G, García-Celma MJ, Solans C. PLGA nanoparticles from nano-emulsion templating as imaging agents: Versatile technology to obtain nanoparticles loaded with fluorescent dyes. Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces. 2016 Nov 1;147:201-9.
46. Chen H, Hu X, Chen E, Wu S, McClements DJ, Liu S, Li B, Li Y. Preparation, characterization, and properties of chitosan films with cinnamaldehyde nanoemulsions. Food Hydrocolloids. 2016 Dec 1;61:662-71.
47. Uluata S, Decker EA, McClements DJ. Optimization of nanoemulsion fabrication using microfluidization: role of surfactant concentration on formation and stability. Food biophysics. 2016 Mar;11(1):52-9.
48. Gué E, Since M, Ropars S, Herbinet R, Le Pluart L, Malzert-Fréon A. Evaluation of the versatile character of a nanoemulsion formulation. International Journal of Pharmaceutics. 2016 Feb 10;498(1-2):49-65.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
AUTHORS WHO PUBLISH WITH THIS JOURNAL AGREE TO THE FOLLOWING TERMS:
Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 Unported License. that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgment of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgment of its initial publication in this journal.
Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).