Dental Health Education: Chewing Gum Containing Xylitol in Junior High School Students
Background: The high number of adolescent complaints related to dental and oral problems is related to the level of knowledge of adolescents in maintaining dental and oral health. Chewing xylitol gum is an alternative that has been proven to be quite effective in cleaning teeth from debris and plaque. Objective: This study aims to analyze the knowledge of students of junior high school PGRI 10 South Jakarta before and after being given education about chewing gum containing xylitol. Methods: This type of research is a quasi-experimental. The sample in this study amounted to 62 students, conducted in April 2022. Data collection by distributing pre-test and post-test questionnaires to measure knowledge before and after being given education about chewing gum containing xylitol. Data analysis using paired sample test. Results: Before the education was conducted, there were 9 students in the good knowledge category with a percentage of 14.5%, in the sufficient knowledge category there were 31 students with a 50.0% percentage, in the poor knowledge category there were 22 students with a 35.5% percentage. After education, there were 61 students in the good knowledge category with a percentage of 98.4%, in the sufficient knowledge category there was 1 student with a 1.6% percentage, in the poor knowledge category there were no students with a 0% percentage. The comparison of the average pre-test score is 6.05 while the total post-test average score is 9.40 with a p-value of 0.001. Conclusion: Education about chewing gum containing xylitol is effective in increasing the dental health knowledge of junior high school students.
2. Fadjeri I, Budiarti R, Purnama T. Dental Care Interventions as Efforts to Reduce PUFA Index and Improve Nutritional Status in Children aged 9-12 Years in Orphanages. Med Leg Updat. 2021;21(1):366–71.
3. Pudentiana RR, Fadjeri I, Priharti D, Mariyati M. Indeks DMF-T dan Periodontitis Pada Pasien diKlinik Pertamedika Yos Sudarso JakartaUtara. JDHT J Dent Hyg Ther. 2021;2(1):6–11.
4. Riskesdas RI. Riset kesehatan dasar tahun 2013. Badan Penelitian dan Pengembangan Kesehatan Kementrian Kesehatan RI. 2013;
5. Kemenkes RI. Hasil utama riskesdas 2018. Jakarta Kemenkes RI. 2018;
6. Maida CA, Marcus M, Hays RD, Coulter ID, Ramos-Gomez F, Lee SY, et al. Child and adolescent perceptions of oral health over the life course. Qual Life Res. 2015;24(11):2739–51.
7. Reddy V, Bennadi D, Gaduputi S, Kshetrimayum N, Siluvai S, Reddy CVK. Oral health related knowledge, attitude, and practice among the pre-university students of Mysore city. J Int Soc Prev Community Dent. 2014;4(3):154.
8. Yulita I, Purnama T, Marliani Y. Knowledge and Attitudes of Dental and Oral Health Maintenance in Pregnant Women (Case Study: Obstetrics and Gynecology Polyclinic at Pertamina Central Hospital, Jakarta). Int Res J Pharm Med Sci. 2021;4(2):9–11.
9. Gayatri RW, Ariwinanti D. Tingkat Pengetahuan Kesehatan Gigi Anak Sekolah Dasar Negeri Kauman 2 Malang. Preventia. 2016;1(2).
10. Kidd EAM, Fejerskov O. Essentials of dental caries. Oxford University Press; 2016.
11. Nurilawaty V, Priharti D, Sukmawati AE, Purnama T. Effectiveness of Rosella Flower Extract (Hibiscus Sabdariffa L.) In Gel and Liquid form on the Growth of Streptococcus Mutans Bacteria. Int J Drug Res Dent Sci. 2022;4(2):1–9.
12. Duane B. Xylitol and caries prevention. Evid Based Dent. 2015;16(2):37–8.
13. Janakiram C, Kumar CVD, Joseph J. Xylitol in preventing dental caries: A systematic review and meta-analyses. J Nat Sci Biol Med. 2017;8(1):16.
14. Nayak PA, Nayak UA, Khandelwal V. The effect of xylitol on dental caries and oral flora. Clin Cosmet Investig Dent. 2014;6:89.
15. De Siqueira Fraga EG, Campos FMT, da Silva Cavalcante MP, Martins LFB, Neto EMR, Mimica MJ. Xylitol, a promising allied for oral heath. J Young Pharm. 2020;12(3):197.
16. Agarwal B, Singh LK. Sugar and Sugar Alcohols: Xylitol. High Value Ferment Prod Hum Heal. 2019;1:285–307.
17. Kumar S, Sogi SHP, Indushekar KR. Comparative evaluation of the effects of xylitol and sugar-free chewing gums on salivary and dental plaque ph in children. J Indian Soc Pedod Prev Dent. 2013;31(4):240.
18. Kaur K, Nekkanti S, Madiyal M, Choudhary P. Effect of chewing gums containing probiotics and xylitol on oral health in children: A randomized controlled trial. J Int Oral Heal. 2018;10(5):237.
19. Ballini A, Cantore S, Signorini L, Saini R, Scacco S, Gnoni A, et al. Efficacy of sea salt-based mouthwash and xylitol in improving oral hygiene among adolescent population: a pilot study. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2021;18(1):44.
20. Arikunto S. Prosedur Penelitian: Suatu Pendekatan Praktik. Revisi. Jakarta: Renika Cipta; 2010.
21. Prajanto A. Pengetahuan mahasiswa Kedokteran Gigi terhadap penggunaan xylitol sebagai usaha pencegahan karies gigi: kajian pada mahasiswa program profesi di klinik integrasi FKG Usakti (laporan penelitian). SKRIPSI-2012. 2017;
22. WIDYANTARI NI, MARSITA M. Gambaran Tingkat Pengetahuan Tentang Pemeliharaan Kesehatan Gigi dan Mulut Sebelum dan Sesudah Diberikan Penyuluhan (Studi Dilakukan Pada Siswa Kelas V Di SDN 19 Pemecutan Tahun 2019). Poltekkes Kemenkes Denpasar; 2019.
23. Simbolon M. Pengetahuan Tentang Karies Gigi Sebelum Dan Sesudah Penyuluhan Kesehatan di Perguruan Advent Cimindi Bandung. J Sk Keperawatan. 2018;4(1):39–45.
24. Alfian M, Adiko MT, Isnanto I. Perbedaan penyuluhan menggunakan media model gigidan media powerpoint terhadap pengetahuan masyarakat tentang karies. J Penelit Kesehatan" Suara Forikes"(Journal Heal Res Forikes Voice"). 2017;9(1):20–3.
25. Ardiansah F, Miftakhi DR. Pelatihan Pembuatan Media Pembelajaran Interaktif Berbasis PowerPoint Bagi Tenaga Pendidik Paud Himpaudi Kecamatan Gabek Kota Pangkalpinang. J Pengabdi Kpd Masy Univ Bangka Belitung. 2019;6(1):16–24.
26. Nurhidayat O. Perbandingan Media Power Point Dengan Flip Chart Dalam Meningkatkan Pengetahuankesehatan Gigi Dan Mulut. Unnes J Public Heal. 2012;1(1).
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
AUTHORS WHO PUBLISH WITH THIS JOURNAL AGREE TO THE FOLLOWING TERMS:
Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 Unported License. that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgment of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgment of its initial publication in this journal.
Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).