The Effect of Pop Up Book Media on Increasing Dental Health Knowledge in Elementary School Children
Background: Children are a very large group of people and have a high prevalence of dental caries. This is related to the correct tooth brushing behavior data which is 2.8% every day. Dental health promotion is an effort to increase children's knowledge whose success cannot be separated from the method of education and the role of the media. Pop-up book is one of the three-dimensional visual media that can be an alternative as a learning medium. Objective: This study aims to analyze the effect of pop up book media on increasing dental health knowledge of elementary school children. Methods: Pre-experimental research with pretest-posttest control group design. The sampling technique was purposive sampling as many as 64 children, consisting of 32 children in the intervention group and 32 children in the control group. The study was conducted at SDN 03 Cilandak Timur, South Jakarta from September to October 2021. The variable influence on the intervention group was pop up book media and the control group was flipchart media while the affected variable was dental health knowledge. The research instrument used a questionnaire about dental health. Data analysis used the SPSS program with the Paired Sample Test to compare the knowledge scores before and after the intervention and the independent t-test to compare the difference in knowledge scores between the intervention group and the control group. Results: The results of the Paired Sample Test on knowledge in the intervention group obtained p = 0.000 and in the control group was p = 0.182. The results of the independent t-test were obtained p = 0.000. Conclusion: Pop up book media is effective in increasing the dental health knowledge of elementary school children.
2. Kemenkes RI. Riset kesehatan dasar tahun 2013. Badan Penelitian dan Pengembangan Kesehatan Kementrian Kesehatan RI. 2013;
3. Veiga NJ, Aires D, Douglas F, Pereira M, Vaz A, Rama L, et al. Dental caries: A review. J Dent Oral Heal. 2016;2(5):1–3.
4. A’yun Q. How is the Oral Hygiene of Elementary School Students?-Saliva pH, Saliva Volume and Saliva Viscosity. Asian J Pharm Res Dev. 2021;9(6):24–7.
5. Tarigan R. Karies gigi. Jakarta EGC. 2013.
6. Pudentiana Rr RE, Subandini SL. Pendidikan kesehatan gigi. Jakarta EGC. 2019.
7. Alrahlah A. How effective the problem-based learning (PBL) in dental education. A critical review. Saudi Dent J. 2016;28(4):155–161.
8. Margareta S. 101 tips & terapi alami agar gigi putih & sehat. 2012;
9. Santoso B, Susanto E, Widyawati MN, Rahman WA, Rajiani I. Revitalizing School Dental Health Effort through" Model 222" as a Strategy to Achieve Caries-Free Indonesia 2030. Syst Rev Pharm. 2020;11(2).
10. Purnama T, Fadjeri I, Widiyastuti R. Model Mentoring Teachers and Parents as an Efforts for Brushing Teeth Behavior in Preschool Children. Indian J Forensic Med Toxicology. 2020;14(4).
11. Noviyanti DAPM, Margunayasa IG. Animal and Human Digestive System Material of the Fifth Grade Elementary School in the form of Pop-Up Book Media. J Educ Technol. 2020;4(2).
12. Rachmadani AP, Fauziah E, Rizal MF, Indiarti IS. The effects of the pop-up book" Aku dan Gigiku" on salivary alpha amylase levels in hearing impaired children. J Int Dent Med Res. 2018;11(1).
13. Bluemel N, Taylor RLH. Pop-up Books: A Guide for Teachers and Librarians. ABC-CLIO; 2012.
14. Sari NE, Suryana D. Thematic Pop-Up Book as a Learning Media for Early Childhood Language Development. J Pendidik Usia Dini. 2019;13(1):43–57.
15. Ahmadi F, Fakhruddin T, Khasanah K. The Development of Pop-Up Book Media to Improve 4th Grade Student’s Learning Outcomes of Civic Education. Asia Pacific J Contemp Educ Commun Technol. 2018;4(1):43–50.
16. Rizkika N, Christiono S. Efektivitas buku pop-up terhadap pemahaman kesehatan gigi anak berkebutuhan khusus. Indones J Paediatr Dent. 2018;1(1):22–25.
17. Purnama T, Ngatemi N, Sofian R, Kasihani NN, RE PR, Nurbayani S. Model 5 Days Gosgi sebagai upaya pembentukan kemandirian menggosok gigi anak usia dini di sekolah. Qual J Kesehat. 2020;14(1):19–24.
18. Notoatmodjo. Promosi Kesehatan dan Perilaku Kesehatan, Edisi Revisi. Jakarta: Rineka Cipta; 2012.
19. Akbar A. Pengaruh media pop-up terhadap peningkatan pengetahuan dan kesehatan gigi dan mulut siswa-siswi di Sekolah Dasar No. 19 Limboro, Majene. J ABDI (Sosial, Budaya dan Sains). 2020;2(1).
20. Anggraini W, Nurwahidah S, Asyhari A, Reftyawati D, Haka NB. Development of Pop-Up Book Integrated with Quranic Verses Learning Media on Temperature and Changes in Matter. In: Journal of Physics: Conference Series. IOP Publishing; 2019. p. 12084.
21. Sari DV, Kusmariyatni N. The Validity of the Pop-Up Book Media on Puberty Topics for Sixth Grade Elementary School. Int J Elem Educ. 2020;4(2):179–86.
22. Arsyad A. Media pembelajaran. Jakarta: PT Raja grafindo persada; 2011.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
AUTHORS WHO PUBLISH WITH THIS JOURNAL AGREE TO THE FOLLOWING TERMS:
Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 Unported License. that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgment of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgment of its initial publication in this journal.
Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).