Formulation of Roselle Flower Extract Gel (Hibiscus sabdariffa L) as a Disclosing Solution
Background: Plaque is a soft deposit attached to the teeth consisting of various types of microorganisms from saliva and food waste. Plaque cannot be seen because it is transparent, like the color of translucent white glass. The way to see plaque is to use a contrast material such as a dye (red/purple) in the form of a liquid or gel called a disclosing solution. It is usually found in gel and liquid form. But in use in humans there are many shortcomings because they are expensive, quite expensive and often contain harmful chemicals. One of the herbal plants that can be used as an alternative material as a disclosing solution is Rosella (Hibiscus sabdariffa L.) which can be used for its properties in the field of Prevention of Dental and Oral Diseases and has antibacterial and remineralizing effects. Methods: This research is an experimental study on the development of Rosella Flower Extract (Hibiscus sabdariffa L.) in the form of a gel in disclosing solution. The research was carried out from June to August 2021 at the Pharmacognosy Laboratory, Department of Pharmacy and Food Analysis, Health Polytechnic of Jakarta II and Dental Health Laboratory, Health Polytechnic of Jakarta I. Disclosing solution prepared from dried Rosella Flowers (Hibiscus sabdariffa L.) was obtained as much as 1000 grams. from the Research Institute for Spices and Medicinal Plants, Bogor. Hedonic testing was carried out on 34 students of the Department of Dental Health, Health Polytechnic of Jakarta I. Results: The disclosing solution preparation in the form of a gel from rosella flower extract had good organoleptic test results. The expected red color corresponding to the color of the disclosing solution is at a concentration of 70%. The average pH of the disclosing solution in the form of a gel was 4.95. The average dispersion of the gel preparation is 5.7. 5. The average adhesion of gel preparations at all concentrations is 1.44 seconds. The hedonic test was obtained that most of the respondents had a neutral opinion on all disclosing gel preparations. Conclusion: The preparation of Roselle Flower Extract Gel (Hibiscus sabdariffa L) can be used as an alternative disclosing solution
2. Purnama T, Fadjeri I, Widiyastuti R. Model Mentoring Teachers and Parents as an Efforts for Brushing Teeth Behavior in Preschool Children. Indian J Forensic Med Toxicol. 2020;14(4):3511–6.
3. A’yun Q. How is the Oral Hygiene of Elementary School Students?-Saliva pH, Saliva Volume and Saliva Viscosity. Asian J Pharm Res Dev. 2021;9(6):24–7.
4. Tinanoff N. Dental caries. In: Pediatric Dentistry. Elsevier; 2019. p. 169–79.
5. Yoo S, Murata RM, Duarte S. Antimicrobial traits of tea-and cranberry-derived polyphenols against Streptococcus mutans. Caries Res. 2011;45(4):327–35.
6. Kidd EAM, Fejerskov O. Essentials of dental caries. Oxford University Press; 2016.
7. Nurilawaty V, Purnama T, Zahra MF. Carbohydrate Diet during the Covid-19 Pandemic (Case Study: 4 th Grade Students of Elementary School 02 Meruya Utara, West Jakarta). Int Res J Pharm Med Sci. 2021;4(4):37–40.
8. Murakami S, Mealey BL, Mariotti A, Chapple ILC. Dental plaque–induced gingival conditions. J Clin Periodontol. 2018;45:S17–27.
9. Chetruş V, Ion IR. Dental plaque-classification, formation, and identification. Int J Med Dent. 2013;3(2):139–43.
10. Febriyanti ID, Liana ID, Indriyani R, Christiono S. The effect of roselle (Hibiscus sabdariffa L.) petals extract as alternative disclosing solution for dental plaque identification. Dentino J Kedokt Gigi. 2018;3(2):108–15.
11. Putri RM, Diana VE, Fitri K. Perbandingan uji aktivitas antibakteri dari ekstrak etanol bunga, daun dan akar tumbuhan rosella (Hibiscus sabdariffa L.) terhadap bakteri Staphylococcus aureus. J Dunia Farm. 2019;3(3):131–43.
12. Wiyarsi A. Khasiat bunga rosella (Hibiscus sabdariffa L). Univ Negeri Yogyakarta Yogyakarta. 2011;
13. Nurilawaty V, Hanum NA, Wahyuni S. Pengaruh Air Seduhan Kelopak Bunga Rosella(Hibiscus sabdariffa L.) Terhadap Kelarutan Ionkalsium Gigi Permanen ( in Vitro). J Pembang Mns. 2013;7(3).
14. Ji YS, Lestari ND, Rinanda T. Uji Aktivitas Antibakteri Ekstrak Etanol Kelopak Bunga Rosella (Hibiscus sabdariffa L.) Terhadap Streptococcus pyogenes Secara In Vitro. J Kedokt Syiah Kuala. 2012;12(1):31–6.
15. Unita L, Singarimbun E. Efek antibakteri ekstrak kelopak bunga rosella terhadap jumlah koloni Streptococcus sp. Antibacterial effect of the rosella flower extract towards the Streptococcus sp. colonies. J Kedokt Gigi Univ Padjadjaran. 2018;30(1):64–9.
16. Riwandy A, Aspriyanto D, Budiarti LY. Aktivitas antibakteri ekstrak air kelopak bunga rosella (Hibiscus sabdariffa L.) terhadap pertumbuhan Streptococcus mutans in vitro. Dentino J Kedokt Gigi. 2014;2(1):60–4.
17. Nurilawaty V, Priharti D, Sukmawati AE, Purnama T. Effectiveness of Rosella Flower Extract (Hibiscus Sabdariffa L.) in Gel and Liquid form on the Growth of Streptococcus Mutans Bacteria. Int J Drug Res Dent Sci. 2022;4(2):1–9.
18. Imran H, Kurniawati N, Amiruddin A, Nurdin N, Wirza W, Wilis R. The Effectiveness of Vegetable Starfruit Juice (Averrhoa bilimbi) and Rosella Tea (Hibiscus sabdariffa L) Against the Inhibition of Dental Plaque Formation. Open Access Maced J Med Sci. 2022;10(G):599–602.
19. Islam MM. Food and medicinal values of Roselle (Hibiscus sabdariffa L. Linne Malvaceae) plant parts: A review. Open J Nutr Food Sci. 2019;1(1):1003.
20. Machmud E. Effectiveness of Roselle effervescent tablets as traditional medicinal plants in preventing growth of Candida albicans colonies and Streptococcus mutans. J Contemp Dent Pract. 2018;19(8):925–8.
21. Datta D, Kumar SR, Narayanan A, Selvamary AL, Sujatha A. Disclosing solutions used in dentistry. World J Pharm Res. 2017;6(6):1648–56.
22. Ratnaningsih; Vitri NS. Extract Formulation and Effectiveness of Beta vulgaris L. as dental plaque solution disclosing. Int J Med Heal Res. 2018;4(2):141–3.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
AUTHORS WHO PUBLISH WITH THIS JOURNAL AGREE TO THE FOLLOWING TERMS:
Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 Unported License. that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgment of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgment of its initial publication in this journal.
Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).