A Scientific Update on Juglans Regia Linn.
Medicinal herbs having a great role in human health care and welfare services. These herbs widely used in Ayurveda, Homeopathic and Allopathic system having various therapeutic properties. Walnut (Juglans regia L.) are the plants belonging to the family Juglandaceae commonly known as Akhrot. It is widely distributed in China, United State, Jammu & Kashmir, Himachal Pradesh, Arunachal Pradesh, Uttarakhand. It has different varieties such as Black walnut, English/Persian walnut, butternut/white walnut. J.regia L. have many marketed formulations such as Topical formulations like Walnut oil, Face wash, Exfoliating scrub, Soap, Shampoo, Hair color and Oral formulations like capsules, tinctures, dilutions, shell powder. Chemical study reveals that J.regia L. contains Juglone, Alkaloids, Flavonoids, Saponins, Polyphenols, Polyunsaturated fatty acids, Oleic acids, Linoleic acids, Proteins, Napthaquinones, Ascorbic acid, Sitosterol, Tannins. Walnut contains different nutritional components like Carbohydrates, Proteins, Dietary fibres, Iron, Phosphorus, vitamin E & C. This plant possess beneficial effects include Antimicrobial, Antioxidant, Anticancer, Antidiabetic, Anthelmintic, Antiinflammatory, Antidepressant, Hepatoprotective, Antiulcer, Antiageing and Hypocholestermic activity and other therapeutic activities. It is believed to be used in Dental plaque, Gingivitis, Oral hygiene, Eczema, Hemorrhoids, Burns, Blood Purifier, Dyeing or Colorant, Antiseptic and Astringent. In the present study, Pharmacognostic and Pharmacological properties of J.regia L. have been discussed. This review highlights the various Ethanobotanical and traditional uses as well as Pharmacognostic and Pharmacological report on J.regia L.
2. Abdurahiman. P.A “Problems and Prospects of Ayurvedic Medicine Manufacturing Units in the Northern Region of Kerala with Special Reference to Marketing” Thesis. Department of Commerce and Management Studies, University of Calicut, 2004
3. Kokate C.K, Purohit A.P, Gokhale S.B, Pharmacognosy, Nirali Prakashan, 2018
4. Anita Surendra Patil , Bipin Deochand Lade And Hariprasad Madhukarrao Paikrao, A Scientific Update on Passiflora Foetida, European Journal of Medicinal Plants, 2015; 5(2):145-155.
5. Asma Nisar, Awang Soh Mamat, Md Irfan Hatim, Muhammad Shahzad Aslam, Muhammad Syarhabil Ahmad, An Updated Review On Catharanthus Roseus: Phytochemical And Pharmacological Analysis, Indian Research Journal of Pharmacy and Science, 2016; 3(2):631-653.
6. D.De Rigo, C.M Enescu, T. Houston Durrant, W. Tinner, G. Caudullo, Juglans Regia In Europe: Distribution, Habitat, Usage And Threats, European Atlas of Forest Tree Species.
7. Singh Deeksha, Tanwar Asmita, Agrawal Parul, an Overview on Coriander, JBPRAU, 2015; 4(2):67-70.
8. Seyit Mehmet Sen, Turan Karadeniz , The Nutritional Value of Walnut, Journal of Hygienic Engineering and Design, 68-71.
Walnuts Presented By FDA, Western Institute for Food Safety and Security, 1-5.
9. Thakur Monika, Singh karuna, Walnut (Juglan Regia L.) A Complete Health and Brain Food, Asian Journal of Bio Science, 2013; 8(2):276-288.
10. Parle Milind, Khanna Deepa, Walnut: Not A Hard Nut To Crack, IRJP, 2011; 2(5):8-17.
11. Faramarz Zakavi, Leila Golpasand Hagh, Arash Daraeighadikolaei, Ahmad Farajzadeh Sheikh, Arsham Daraeighadikolaei, Zahra Leilavi Shooshtari, Antibacterial Effect of Juglans Regia Bark against Oral Pathologic Bacteria, International Journal of Dentistry, 2013;1-5.
12. Tuqa Aldawood, Alaa Alyousef, Shima Alyousef, Nora Aldosari, Sara Hussam , Alalhadad , Fikrat Bhaian, Dalia Sharaf Eldeen , Nishanth Sayed Abdul, Antibacterial Effect of Juglans Regia L. Bark Extract at Different Concentrations against Human Salivary Microflora, Journal of Oral Medicine, Oral Surgery, Oral Pathology and Oral Radiology, 2017; 3(4):214-217.
13. Susankhosroyar, Shima Ghofranpour, The Effect Of Walnut Oil, Septum and Leaves Aqueous Extract in Alloxan-Induced Diabetic Rats, International Journal of Chemtech Research, 2017; (10):46-54.
14. Jaiswal Bhagat Singh, Tailang Mukul, Juglans Regia: A Review of Its Traditional Uses Phytochemistry and Pharmacology, Indo American Journal of Pharmaceutical Research, 2017; 7(9):390-398.
15. Ahmad N., Singh S R, Rashid Megna, Hidayatullah Mir, Walnut, Fruit Production of India, 2018; 660-672.
16. Ali Jahanban-Esfahlan , Alireza Ostadrahimi, Mahnaz Tabibiazar And Ryszard Amarowicz, A Comparative Review on the Extraction, Antioxidant Content and Antioxidant Potential of Different Parts Of Walnut (Juglans Regia L.) Fruit And Tree, MDPI, 2019 ;(24):1-40.
17. Arya Vaidya Sala, Indian Medicinal Plants, A Compendium Of 500 Species, Orient Longman Private Limited, 2004; (3).
18. Sharma Pankaj, Tomar Lokeshwar, Bachwani Mukesh, Bansal Vishnu, Review On Neem: Thousand Problems One Solution, IRJP, 2011; 2(12):97-102.
19. Dilek Keskin, Nur Ceyhan, Aysel Ugur, Chemical Composition And In Vitro Antimicrobial Activity of Walnut (Juglans Regia) Green Husks and Leaves From West Anatolia, Journal of Pure And Applied Microbiology, 2012; 6(2) :583-588.
20. Jamshid Mohammadi, Khalil Saadipour, Hamdollah Delaviz, Bahram Mohammadi, Anti-Diabetic Effects of an Alcoholic Extract Of Juglans Regia in an Animal Model, Turk J Med Sci 2011; 41 (4): 685-691.
21. Bennacer Amel, Cherif Hamida Saida, Contribution to the Ethnobotanical, Phytochemical, Antimicrobial and Antioxidant Study of the Leaves Aqueous Extract of the Common Walnut "Juglans Regia L., International Journal Of Pharmacology, Phytochemistry and Ethnomedicine, 2016; 7:41-52.
22. Hubert Sytykiewicz, Grzegorz Chrzanowski, Anti Fungal Activity of Juglans Regia Leaf Extract Against Candida Albicans Isolates, Pol.J.Environ. Stud. 2015; 24(3):1339-1348.
23. Y. Ozturk, S. Aydm And R. Arslan, K. H. C. Bwr And N. Kurtar-Ozturk, Thyroid Hormone Enhancing Activity Of the Fruits of Juglans Regia L. In Mice, Phytotherapy Research, 1994; 8:308-310.
24. Mohammad Mirjalili And Loghman Karimi, Extraction And Characterization Of Natural Dye From Green Walnut Shells and Its Use in Dyeing Polyamide: Focus On Antibacterial Properties, Hindawi Publishing Corporation Journal of Chemistry 2013; 1-9.
25. Seyed Fazel Nabavi,Mohammad Ali Ebrahimzadeh, Seyed Mohammad Nabavi,Mitra Mahmoudi, Shabnam Keyvani Rad, Biological Activities of Juglans Regia Flowers, Brazilian Journal of Pharmacognosy 2011; 21(3):465-470.
26. Raheleh Jahanbani, S.Mahmood Ghaffari, Maryam Salami,Kourosh Vahdati ,Houri Sepehri, Nazanin Namazi Sarvestani, Nader Sheibani ,Ali Akbar Moosavi-Movahedi, Antioxidant and Anticancer Activities of Walnut (Juglans Regia L.) Protein Hydrolysates Using Different Proteases, Plant Foods Hum Nutr 2016; 71:402–409.
27. Rosaria Acquaviva, Floriana D’Angeli, Giuseppe Antonio Malfa, Simone Ronsisvalle, Adriana Garozzo, Aldo Stivala, Salvatore Ragusa, Daria Nicolosi, Mario Salmeri & Carlo Genovese, Antibacterial And Anti-Biofilm Activities Of Walnut Pellicle Extract (Juglans Regia L.) Against Coagulase-Negative Staphylococci, Natural Product Research, 2019; 1-5.
28. Karim Raafat, Phytochemical Analysis of Juglans Regia Oil and Kernel Exploring their Antinociceptive and Anti-Inflammatory Potentials Utilizing Combined Bio-Guided GC–FID, GC–MS And HPLC Analyses, Brazilian Journal of Pharmacognosy 2018; 358-368.
29. Ksenija Kojicic, Vanja Tadic, Miroslav Sovrlic, Snezana Cupara, Antioxidant Activity of Juglans Regia L., Juglandaceae Pericarp Originated From Sumadija Region, Pons Med J 2019; 16(1):3-8.
30. G.P. Savage and D.L. Mcneil, P.C. Dutta, Some Nutritional Advantages of Walnuts, Proc. IV Int. Walnut Symp. Ed. E. Germain, D. Calvi Acta Hort. 557-563.
31. Raja G., Ivvala Anand Shaker, Inampudi Sailaja, Swaminathan R., Kondaveeti Suresh Babu, S. Saleem Basha, Nutritional Analysis of Nuts Extract of Juglans Regia L, International Journal Of Bioassays,2012; 68-73.
32. Gajendra Mahor, Sharique A Ali, Recent Update on the Medicinal Properties and Use of Aloe Vera in the Treatment of Various Ailments, Biosci. Biotech. Res. Comm. 2016; 9(2):273-288.
33. Kanchan Bhatia, Shakilur Rahman, Mehboob Ali & Sheikh Raisuddin, In Vitro Antioxidant Activity of Juglans Regia L. Bark Extract and Its Protective Effect On Cyclophosphamide-Induced Urotoxicity In Mice, Redox Report 2006;11:274-279.
34. Parivash Rahimi, Najmeh Kabiri, Sedigheh Asgary And Mahbubeh Setorki, Anti-Diabetic Effects Of Walnut Oil on Alloxan-Induced Diabetic Rats, African Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology 2011; 5(24):2655-2661.
35. Delia Elva Cruz-Vega, Maria Julia Verde-Star, Noe Salinas-Gonzalez , Bibiana Rosales Hernandez, Iris Estrada-Garcí, Patricia Mendez-Aragon, Pilar Carranza-Rosales, Maria Teresa Gonzalez-Garza And Jorge Castro-Garza, Antimycobacterial Activity of Juglans Regia, Juglans Mollis, Carya Illinoensis and Bocconia Frutescens, Phytotherapy Research 2008; 22:557–559.
36. Emira Noumi, Mejdi Snoussi, Najla Trabelsi, Hafedh Hajlaoui, Riadh Ksouri, Eulogio Valentin, Amina Bakhrouf, Antibacterial, Anticandidal and Antioxidant Activities of Salvadora Persica and Juglans Regia L. Extracts, Journal of Medicinal Plants Research, 2011; 5(17):4138-4146.
37. Mohammed Nadeem Kasim Hantoosh, Hussein Ali Salim, Emad Adnan Mahdi, Hassan Ali Majid, Mohammed Abdalrahem Jalal, Antifungal Activity of Alcoholic Extract of Juglans Regia Against Phytopathogenic Rhizoctonia Solani, Chemistry Research Journal, 2018; 3(4):105-109.
A. Amirou,M. Bnouham , A. Legssyer,A. Ziyyat , M. Aziz ,M. Berrabah, H. Mekhfi, Effects of Juglans Regia Root Bark Extract On Platelet Aggregation, Bleeding Time and Plasmatic Coagulation: In Vitro And Ex Vivo Experiments, Hindawi Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine,2018; 1-7.
38. Fang Fang ,Yingxin Qin , Ling Qi ,Qing Fang, Liangzhong Zhao, Shuang Chen, Qiang Li, Duo Zhang, Liguo Wang, Juglone Exerts Antitumor Effect In Ovarian Cancer Cells , Iranian Journal of Basic Medical Sciences, 2015; 18:544‐548.
39. Kumaraswamy Dabburu, Suresh Babu Kondaveeti, Sarath Babu.K, Evaluation of Gastro-Protective Effect Of The Hydro-Alcoholic Extract of Juglans Regia L. Leaves in Experimental Animals, Journal of Applied Pharmaceutical Science, 2012; 2(11):079-083.
40. Akram Eidi, Jalal Zarringhalam Moghadam, Pejman Mortazavi, Shamsali Rezazadeh & Somayeh Olamafar, Hepatoprotective Effects Of Juglans Regia Extract against CCl4-Induced Oxidative Damage in Rats, Pharm Biol, 2013; 51(5):558–565.
41. Mehdi Mahmoodi, Hadis Eghbali, Seyed-Mostafa Hosseini-Zijoud, Ahmad Pourrashidi, Alireza Mohamadi, Majid Borhani, Gholamhossein Hassanshahi , Mohsen Rezaeian, Study of the Effects of Walnut Leaf on Some Blood Biochemical Parameters in Hypercholesterolemic Rats, Biochem & Anal Biochem, 2011; 1:1-4.
42. Agata Przekora, Anna Belcarz, Katarzyna Kowalczyk, Michal Wojcik , Katarzyna Wojciechowska and Graoyna Ginalska, Uv Protective, Anti-Aging and Anti-Inflammatory Properties of Aqueous Extract of Walnut, Acta Poloniae Pharmaceutical Drug Research, 2018;75(5) :1167-1176.
43. Das R., Mehta D. K. and Gupta A., In Vitro Anthelmintic Activity of Leaves of Juglans Regia L. against Pheretima Posthuma, Sci. Revs. Chem. Commun.: 2011; 1(1):78-82.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
AUTHORS WHO PUBLISH WITH THIS JOURNAL AGREE TO THE FOLLOWING TERMS:
Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 Unported License. that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgment of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgment of its initial publication in this journal.
Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).