Clinical Study and Toxicity Tests of Disclosing Agent Aloe Vera Gel
Disclosing agents function to visualize and identify dental plaque on the tooth surface, making it very useful for viewing transparent bacterial plaque for the purposes of oral hygiene instruction, evaluation and research. Aloe vera (Aloe vera) has a unique texture because it is in the form of a gel which has anti-inflammatory, wound healing, antibacterial and anticancer properties. Aloe vera can be developed as a disclosing agent. Clinical trials and toxicity tests can be the basis for the clinical use of aloe vera gel. The purpose of this study was to determine the ability of aloe vera gel as a disclosing agent based on clinical trials and toxicity tests. The research method is by carrying out sample preparation, extraction, gel preparation, clinical trials on human test subjects, and toxicity tests with the BSLT method. Data were analyzed descriptively, linear regression. The test results showed that the average plaque score in formula I (thick gel) was 3.62, while the average plaque score in formula II (less viscous gel) was 2.58. This shows that the more viscous aloe vera gel formula is better than the less viscous aloe vera gel. Based on the test, it is known that the average LC50 value is 2596.88 µg/ml. According to the literature, if the LC50 value is above 1000 µg/ml then the sample does not have a toxic effect.
2. Patra S. Plaque Disclosing Agent. Indian J Public Heal Res Dev. 2019;10(11).
3. Amaliya A, Firdaus RT, Rusminah N. Natural pigment of red-fleshed Pitaya Hylocereus polyrhizus) as dental plaque disclosing gent--A preliminary study. Istanbul J Pharm. 2020;50(3):256–62.
4. Kumar GR, Devanand G, John BD, Ankit Y, Khursheed O, Sumit M. Preliminary antiplaque efficacy of aloe vera mouthwash on 4 day plaque re-growth model: randomized control trial. Ethiop J Health Sci. 2014;24(2):139–44.
5. Pattnaik N, Mohanty R, Satpathy A, Nayak R, Shamim R, Praharaj AK. Aloe vera mouthwashes can be a natural alternative to chemically formulated ones–A randomized-controlled trial. J Taibah Univ Med Sci. 2022;17(3):424–32.
6. Manvitha K, Bidya B. Aloe vera: a wonder plant its history, cultivation and medicinal uses. J Pharmacogn Phytochem. 2014;2(5):85–8.
7. Kumar R, Singh AK, Gupta A, Bishayee A, Pandey AK. Therapeutic potential of Aloe vera—A miracle gift of nature. Phytomedicine. 2019;60:152996.
8. Sajjad A, Subhani Sajjad S. Aloe vera: An ancient herb for modern dentistry—A literature review. J Dent Surg. 2014;2014.
9. Said F, Rahmawati I, Ningsih NS. Analysis of Metabolite Levels, Secondary Minerals and Aloe Vera Formulation from Kalimantan Indonesia. Med Lab Technol J. 2022;8(1):27–34.
10. Anwar K, Rahmanto B, Triyasmono L, Rizki MI, Halwany W, Lestari F. The influence of leaf age on total phenolic, flavonoids, and free radical scavenging capacity of Aquilaria beccariana. Res J Pharm Biol Chem Sci. 2017;8:129–33.
11. Das A, Haque SKM, Ghosh B, Nandagopal K, Jha TB. Morphological and Genetic Characterization of Micropropagated Field Grown Plants of Aloe vera L. Plant Tissue Cult Biotechnol. 2015;25(2):231–46.
12. Ramadhani MA, Hati AK, Lukitasari NF, Jusman AH. Skrining Fitokimia Dan Penetapan Kadar Flavonoid Total Serta Fenolik Total Ekstrak Daun Insulin (Tithonia diversifolia) Dengan Maserasi Menggunakan Pelarut Etanol 96%. Indones J Pharm Nat Prod. 2020;3(1).
13. Aryanti N, Nafiunisa A, Willis FM. Ekstraksi dan karakterisasi klorofil dari daun suji (Pleomele angustifolia) sebagai pewarna pangan alami. J Apl Teknol Pangan. 2016;5(4).
14. Danniswari D, Nasrullah N, Sulistyantara B. Fenologi Perubahan Warna Daun pada Terminalia catappa, Ficus glauca, dan Cassia fistula. J Lanskap Indones. 2019;11(1):17–25.
15. Rizki MI, Nurlely N, Fadlilaturrahmah F. Skrining fitokimia dan penetapan kadar fenol total pada ekstrak daun nangka (artocarpus heterophyllus), cempedak (artocarpus integer), dan tarap (artocarpus odoratissimus) asal desa Pengaron kabupaten Banjar. J Insa Farm Indones. 2021;4(1):95–102.
16. Astuti P. Pengaruh Penambahan ekstrak dau kelor (moringa oleifera) terhadap kualitas inderawi dan kandungan protein mie basah substitusi tepung mocaf. J Kompetensi Tek. 2019;11(2):15–21.
17. Susanty S, Bachmid F. Perbandingan metode ekstraksi maserasi dan refluks terhadap kadar fenolik dari ekstrak tongkol jagung (Zea mays L.). J Konversi. 2016;5(2):87–92.
18. Sonawane SK, Gokhale JS, Mulla MZ, Kandu VR, Patil S. A comprehensive overview of functional and rheological properties of aloe vera and its application in foods. J Food Sci Technol. 2021;58:1217–26.
19. Kurniawan H, Nera UP, Inarah F. Uji Toksisitas Akut Ekstrak Metanol Daun Kesum (Polygonum Minus Huds) Terhadap Larva Artemia salina Leach Dengan Metode Brine Shrimp Lethality Test (BSLT). Univ Tanjung Pura, Pontianak. 2012;
20. Rizki M. Farmakognosi Dan Metabolit Sekunder. Malang: CV. IRDH; 2020.
21. Joshi A V, Dixit UB. Effectiveness of plaque removal with an experimental chewable brush in children between age 9 and 13 years. Eur Arch Paediatr Dent. 2018;19:417–21.
22. Purnomo BE, Johan VS. Pemanfaatan kulit buah naga merah (Hylocereus Polyrhizus) sebagai teh herbal. J Online Mhs Bid Pertan. 2016;3(2):1–12
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
AUTHORS WHO PUBLISH WITH THIS JOURNAL AGREE TO THE FOLLOWING TERMS:
Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 Unported License. that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgment of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgment of its initial publication in this journal.
Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).