Orodispersible Tablets: A Compendious Review
In recent times, there has been an enhanced demand for more patient compliant dosage forms. Oral route has been the gold standard in the administration of medications due to its safety, good patient compliance, ease of ingestion, pain avoidance and versatility. Dysphagia poses a problem especially in geriatric and paediatric patients. Mentally retarded patients, institutionalized patients and those travelling without access to water face a challenge as well. Orodispersible tablets are solid unit dosage form which when placed in the oral cavity swiftly disintergrates or dissolves without the need of water. ODT technology helps overcome the above mentioned challenges. Literature on ODT, their formulation and evaluation, challenges, manufacturing techniques along with patented technologies are reviewed in this article.
2. K.B. Deshpande . Orodispersible tablets: An overview in formulation and technology. Int J of Pharma and Bio Sciences. 2011; 2(1).
3. Suresh Bhandari, Rajendra Kumar Mittapalli, Ramesh Gannu, Yamsani Madhusudan Rao. Orodispersible tablets : An overview. Asian J of Pharmaceutics – Jan 2008.
4. Pebley W.S., Jager N.E., Thompson S.J., Rapidly disintegrating tablets, US Patent No.5,298,261,1994.
5. Kuchekar BS, Badhan AC, Mahajan HS. Tablets: A novel drug delivery system. Pharma Times.2003; 35:7-9.
6. Chowdary, K.P.R, and Aishwarya, K. V. N. R.,Recent research on fast dissolving tablets – A review, JGTPS, 2013; 4(1):940-954.
7. Bradoo, R, Fast dissolving drug delivery systems, JAMA India, 2013; 4(10):27-31.
8. Anupam Roy, Orodispersible Tablets: A RevieW, Asian J Pharm Clin Res., 2016; 9(1):19-26.
9. SC Darade, PB Patil, RS Kalkotwar, Formulation and evaluation of orodispersible tablet containing piroxicam by sublimation method, Indian Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology, 2017; 4(2):77-82.
10. Lavika Gandhi, Md. Semimul Akhtar. Comparative study on effect of natural and synthetic superdisintegrants in the formulation of orodispersible tablets. Journal of Drug Delivery & Therapeutics. 2019; 9(2):507-513.
11. http://www.phamacast.com/patents100/Yr2004/May2004/051104/6733781_Fast Dissolving051104.htm.
12. Reddy.L.H et al., “Fast dissolving drug deliverysystems: A review of the literature, IJPS,2002; 331-336.
13. Shu T. Studies of rapidly disintegrating tablets in oral cavity using coground mixture of mannitol with crospovidone. Chem Pharm Bull2002; 50:193-198.
14. Chang RK, Guo X, Burnside BA, Cough RA. Fast dissolving tablets. Pharm Tech 2000; 24:52-58.
15. Virely P, Yarwood R. Zydis-a novel, fast dissolving dosage form. Manuf. Chem. 1990; 61:36-37.
16. Reddy L.H., Ghosh B., Rajneesh, Fast dissolving drug delivery systems: a review of the literature. Indian J.Pharm. Sci.2002; 64(4):331-336.
17. S.Ramu,Y.Ashok Kumar, D.Srinivasa Rao, G.Ramakrishna, Formulation and evaluation of Valsartan Oral Dispersible Tablets by Direct Compression Method, American Journal of Advanced Drug Delivery, 2014; 2(6):719-733.
18. Bandari S, Mittapalli RK, Gannu R, Rao YM.Orodispersible tablets: An overview. Asian J Pharm 2008; 2(1):2-11.
19. Pooja Arora, Vandana Arora Sethi. Orodispersible tablets: A Comprehensive Review. Int. J. Res. Dev. Pharm. L. Sci. Feb-Mar, 2013; 2(2):270-284.
20. Thakur RR, Kashi M. An Unlimited Scope for Novel Formulation as Orally Disintegrating System:Present and Future Prospects. J. app. Pharm. Sci.2011; 01(01):13-19.
21. Karambir Singh, Kamal Saroha, Ruchika Mohan, Amit Kumar, Chetna Pandit. Orodispersible tablets: Development, technologies and evaluation: An overview. The pharma Research, Vol 8, Issue 1, Page 128-147.
22. K.P.R. Chowdary, K.Ravi Shankar, B. Suchitra. Recent trends on orodispersible tablets- A review. Int. Res J Pharm. App Sci., 2014; 4(1):64-73.
23. Gupta A, Mishra AK, Gupta V, Bansal P, Singh R, Singh AK. Recent Trends of Fast Dissolving Tablet - An overview of formulation technology. Int. J. Pharma. Bio. Archives. 2010; 1(1):1 – 10.
24. Sastry SV, Nyshadham JR, Fix JA. Recent technological advances in oral drug delivery: a review. Pharm. Sci. Technol. 2000; 3(4):138–45.
25. Satyajit et al. /An update on various excipients employed for orodispersible tablets with a special forces on superdisintegrants. IJPCR, November 2015; 7(6):440-449.
26. Rushiraj, dasharath patel . Hot melt extrusion: an industrially feasible approach for casting orodisperisible film. Asian J of ph Sci, 2015;10:292-305.
27. Malke S, Shidhaye S, Kadam VJ.Formulation and evaluation of oxcarbazepine fast dissolving tablets.Indian J. Pharm. Sci. 2007; 69(2):211-14.
28. Shangraw RF, Mitrevej A, Shah M. A new era of tablet disintegrants. Pharm.Technol. 1980; 4(10):49-57.
29. Iyad R, Mayyas AR, Eftaiha AA and Badwan A, Chitin-silicon dioxide coprecipitate as a novel superdisintegrants, Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences 2008; 97(11):4955-69.
30. Sharad A More, S.K. Mohite. Orodispersible tablet- A novel drug delivery system. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci, Vol 3, Issue1, 17.
31. Bhowmik D, Chiranjib B, Pankaj K, Chandira RM (2009).Fast Dissolving Tablet: An Overview. Journal of Chemical and Pharmaceutical Research 20069;1(1):163-177.
32. Amol V. Patil et al. Recent trends and formulation technology of orodispersible tablets. Journal of Pharmacy Research 2011;4(3):924-928.
33. Dilip Kumar Gupta, Arpana Maurya, Munendra Mohan Varshney. Orodispersible tablets: An overview of formulation and technology. World Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, Volume 9, Issue 10, 1406-1418.
34. Gurpreet Singh, Jayesh Dwivedi, Jeyabalan Govindaswamy, Naresh Kalra, Rajesh Sharma. Formulation of Mouth dissolving tablets using solid dispersion technique: A Review. Indian J.Pharm.Biol.Res. 2018; 6(3):66-72.
35. Shukla D, Chakraborty S, Singh S, Mishra B .Mouth Dissolving Tablets I: An Overview of Formulation Technology. Sci Pharm. 2005;77: 309–26.
36. Kuno Y, Kojima M, Ando S, Nakagami H .Evaluation of rapidly disintegrating tablets manufactured by phase transition of sugar alcohols. Journal of Controlled Release 2005;105(2):16-22.
37. Gole DJ, Levinson RS, Carbone J, Davies JD. Preparation of pharmaceutical and other matrix systems by solid-state dissolution. US Patent 5,215,756.
38. Lafon L. Galenic form for oral administration and its method of preparation by lyophilization of an oil-in-water emulsion. US Patent 4,616,047; 1986.
39. Mizumoto T, Allen A, Loyd V. Method for producing a rapidly dissolving dosage form. US Patent1996; 5:576.
40. Gohel M, Patel M, Amin A, Agarwal R, Dave R, Bariya N. Formulation design and optimization of mouth dissolve tablets of nimesulide using vaccum drying technique. AAPS Pharm Sci .Tech. 2004; 5(3):1-6.
41. Tanmoy Ghosh, Amitava Ghosh, Devi Prasad. A review on new generation orodispersible tablets and its future prospective. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci, Vol 3, Issue1, 17.
42. Cherukuri, et al. quickly dispersing comestible unit and product. PCT Patent WO 95/3429A1; 1995.
43. Nilesh V. Misal, Satyam Z. Chemate. Formulation and evaluation of lornoxicam mouth dissolving tablets by using super disintegrants. IJPSR, 2010; 10(4):1848-1855.
44. Ritesh Kumar, Pavan kumar Gautam, Amrish Chandra. Formulation and evaluation of multiple unti floating beads of antiulcer drug. Asian journal of pharmaceutics. Apr-Jun 2018;(suppl).12(2).S680.
45. Khaled M Hosny, Ahmed Khames, Seham. Preparation and evaluation of orodispersible tablets containing hydroxybutyl-B-cyclodextrin-symvastatin solid dispersion. Trop J Pharm Res, August 2013;12(4).
46. Harshal pawar, Chhaya varkhade, Pravin jadhav, Kavita mehra. Development and evaluation of orodispersible tablets using a natural polysaccharide isolated from Cassia tora seed. Integr Med Res,2014; -98.
47. Ritesh Kumar, Pawan Kumar Gautam, Amrish Chandra. Formulation and evaluation of multiple unit floating beads of antiulcer drug. Asian journal of pharmaceutics. Apr-Jun 2018(suppl). 12(2).S680.
48. Chinmaya Keshari Sahoo, Tanmaya Keshari Sahoo, Alok Kumar Moharana. Designing of Orodispersible tablet of diethyl carbamazepine citrate for the treatment of filariasis. Int J of applied Bio & Pharm tech. 2011; 2(4):2011.
49. Deepika Jain, Mishra Amul. A review- Formulation and development of orodispersible tablet. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Erudition May 2014; 4(1):21-38.
50. Harshil M Patel, Chainesh N. Shah. A review on orodispersible tablets- as a novel formulation for oral drug delivery systems. Pharma Science Monitor 2016; 7(3):100-111.
51. Hadyah Faleh Alotaibi, Samar Elsamagily, Gamal M. Mahrous, Mohsen A.Bayomi, Hanna Abdelmonem Mahmoud. Design of taste masked enteric orodispersible tablets of diclofenac sodium by applying fluid bed coating technology. Saudi Pharmaceutical Journal,2019; 27:354–362.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
AUTHORS WHO PUBLISH WITH THIS JOURNAL AGREE TO THE FOLLOWING TERMS:
Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 Unported License. that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgment of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgment of its initial publication in this journal.
Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).