A Review on Simultaneous Determination of Anti-Hypertensive Drug Combinations Containing Amlodipine Besylate using Chromatographic Analysis
The present review aims to investigate some of the recently reported analytical methods available for the assay of
antihypertensive drugs in various combinations of pharmaceutical forms. Several simultaneous RP- HPLC methods have been
reported for the determination of antihypertensive drugs. The review familiarizes various reported methods for the simultaneous
determination of Amlodipine besylate with other antihypertensive drug formulations which are used in combination treatment
2. Maatouk I, Wild B, Herzog W, Wesche D, Schellberg D, Schöttker B, Müller H, Rothenbacher D, Stegmaier C, Brenner H: Longitudinal predictors of health-related quality of life in middle-aged and older adults with hyperten-sion: Results of a population-based study. J. Hypertens. 2012; 30:1364–1372.
3. Filipova E, Dineva S, Uzunova K, Pavlova V, Kalinov K, Vekov T: Combining angiotensin receptor blockers with chlorthalidone or hydrochlorothiazide—which is the better alternative. A meta-analysis. Syst. Rev. 2020; 9:1–12.
4. Smith DK, Lennn RP, Carlsgaard PB, Managing Hypertension Using Combination Therapy. Am. Fam. Physician 2020; 101:341–349.
5. Benjamin IJ, Kreutz R, Olsen MH, Schutte AE, Lopez-Jaramillo P, Frieden,TRSliwa K, Lackland DT, Brainin M: Fixed-dose combination antihypertensive medications. Lancet 2019; 394: 637–638.
6. Volpe M, Tocci G: Rationale for triple fixed-dose combination therapy with an angiotensin II receptor blocker, a calcium channel blocker, and a thiazide diuretic. Vasc. Health Risk Manag. 2012; 8:371–380.
7. Deeks ED: Olmesartan medoxomil/amlodipine/hydrochlorothiazide: Fixed-dose combination in hypertension. Drugs 2011; 7:209–220.
8. Mansia G, De Backer G, Dominiczak A, Cifkova R, Fagard R, Germano G, Grassi G, Heagerty AM, Kjeldsen SE, Laurent S, Narkiewicz K, Ruilope L, Rynkiewicz A, Schmieder RE, Struijker Boudier HA, Zanchetti A: European Society of Hypertension; European Society of Cardiology. ESH-ESC Guidelines for the management of arterial hypertension: the task force for the management of arterial hypertension of the European Society of Hypertension (ESH) and of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC). Blood Press 2007; 16:135–232.
9. Chobanian AV, Bakris GL, Black HR, Cushman WC, Green LA, Izzo JL, Jones DW, Materson BJ, Oparil S, Wright JT, Roccella EJ: Joint National Committee on Prevention, Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Pressure. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute; National High Blood Pressure Education Program Coordinating Committee. Seventh report of the Joint National Committee on Prevention, Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Pressure. Hypertension 2003; 42:1206–1252.
10. Sharpe M, Jarvis B, Goa KL: Telmisartan: a review of its use in hypertension. Drugs 2001; 61: 1501–1529.
11. Neutel JM, Smith DHG: Evaluation of angiotensin II receptor blockers for 24-hour blood pressure control: meta-analysis of a clinical database. J Clin Hypertens2003; 1:58–63.
12. Kontny F, Risanger T, Bye A, Arnesen O, Johansen OE, Telimore: Study Investigators. Effects of telmisartan on office and 24-hour ambulatory blood pressure: an observational study in hypertensive patients managed in primary care. Vasc Health Risk Manag2010; 6:31–38.
13. Haria M, Wagstaff AJ: Amlodipine. A reappraisal of its pharmacological properties and therapeutic use in cardiovascular disease. Drugs 1995; 50:560–586.
14. Chapter 5. Treatment with antihypertensive drugs, The Japanese Society of Hypertension Guidelines for the Management of Hypertension (JSH2014). Hypertens Res 2014; 37:253–392.
15. Suryawanshi KG, Jagdale MP, Dhavade TA: Study of Various Methods for the Analysis of Amlodipine and Telmisartan Combination Drug Used in Hypertension, International Journal of Scientific Development and Research, 2021;6:37-40
16. Gupta NK, Babu AM, Gupta P: RP-HPLC Method for Simultaneous Estimation of Telmisartan and Amlodipine besylate in pharmaceutical tablet dosage form. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Erudition, 2012; 2:1-9.
17. Maimoon S, Reddy KN, Swetha P: RP-HPLC method development and validation for simultaneous estimation of Amlodipine besylate and Telmisartan in tablet dosage form. Indian Journal of Research in Pharmacy and Biotechnology. 2017; 5(1):74.
18. Krishnan NS, Harika P, Reddy YS. Validated RP–HPLC Method for Simultaneous Estimation of Telmisartan and Amlodipine. International Journal of Pharmaceutics and Drug Analysis. 2014; 2(11):883-839.
19. Kanchana SA, Aruna A, Niraimathi V, Suresh AJ: Simultaneous Estimation of Telmisartan and Amlodipine in Tablet Dosage Form by RP-HPLC. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2011; 4(3):428-429.
20. Kottai MA, Sankhla R, Gupta S, Smith AA, Manavalan R: Development and validation of a reversed phase HPLC method for simultaneous determination of amlodipine and telmisartan in pharmaceutical dosage form. J OF Appled Chemical Research (JACR) 2010; 12(4):43- 52.
21. Kayal SD, Khan FA, Tated AG, Bakal RL, Chandewar AV: method development and validation for the simultaneous determination of amlodipine besylate and telmisartan in tablet dosage form by RP-HPLC. IJPRD. 2011; 3(5):144-153.
22. Kranthi M, Srinivas A: Analytical Method Development and Validation and Force Degradation Studies for Simultaneous Estimation of Amlodipine Besylate and Telmisartan in Tablet Dosage Form by using RP-HPLC. Int. J. Pharm. Phytopharmacol. Res. 2014; 4:2-7.
23. Raju V B, Gandhi B M, Sumanth K S, Srinivas K and Sarojini L: Method development and validation for simultaneous estimation of telmisartan and amlodipine by RP-HPLC, World J Pharm Sci 2017, 5(4): 45-53.
24. Sumaiya S and Bharadwaj A: A Validated RP-HPLC Method for Tablets Containing Amlodipine Besylate and Telmisartan HCl as Active Pharmaceutical Ingredient, Mod Chem Appl, 2020; 8 (3), 276:1-10.
25. Priyanka RP, Sachin UR, Dhabale PN: RP- HPLC Method for Simultaneous Estimation of Losartan potassium and Amlodipine besylate in Tablet Formulation. Int.J. ChemTech Res. 2009; 1(3):464- 469.
26. Mustafa C, Mustafa SK, Sacide A: HPLC method development for the simultaneous analysis of Amlodipine and Valsartan in combined dosage forms and in vitro dissolution studies. Brazilian Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2010; 46(4):761-768.
27. Pournima SP, Harinath NM, Sachin A: RP-HPLC method for simultaneous estimation of Amlodipine Besylate and Olmesartan Medoxomil from tablet. International journal of pharmacy and pharmaceutical sciences. 2011; 3(3):146-149.
28. Sayyed H, Rashid RM, Mazahar F: Development and Validation of a Simultaneous HPLC Method for Quantification of Amlodipine Besylate and Metoprolol Tartrate in Tablets. Journal of Pharma Sci Tech. 2012; 1(2):1-5.
29. Mhaske RA, Garole DJ, Mhaske AA, Sahasrabudhe S: Determinaion Amlodipine Besylate, Valsartan, Telmisartan, Hydrochlorothiazide and Chlorthalidon application to commercially available drugs products, IJPSR, 2012; 3(1):141-149.
30. Elshanawane AA, Abdelaziz LM, Kamal MM and Hafez HM: Quantitative Determination of Telmisartan, Ramipril, Amlodipine Besylate, And Atorvastatin Calcium By HPLC, J. of Liquid Chrom. & Related Technologies, 2014, 37(2):195-206.
31. Madhukar A, Kannappan N, Mahendra Kumar CB: Analytical Method Development and Validation for the Determination of Hydrochlorothiazide, Amlodipine Besylate and Telmisartan Hydrochloride in Multicomponent Tablet Dosage Form and In Biorelevant Media (Fassif) By RP-HPLC Techniques; Int. J. Of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, 2015, 7(1):218-25.
32. Karthik E, Madhukar A, Ajitha M and Guguloth R: Analytical Method Development and Validation for the Simultaneous Determination of Hydrochlorothiazide and Amlodipine Besylate in Bulk and Tablet Dosage Form by RP-HPLC Technique, Journal of Pharma Research 2016; 5(8):202-207.
33. Yasin DS, Bingul AA, Karakucuk A, Teksin ZS: Development and Validation of an HPLC Method Using an Experimental Design for Analysis of Amlodipine Besylate and Enalapril Maleate in a Fixed-dose Combination, Turk. J. Pharm. Sci., 2021; 18(3):306-318.
34. Chaudhary BR, Dave JB: Estimation of telmisartan, amlodipine and chlorthalidone in bulk and fixed dose combination using stability indicating high performance thin layer chromatography. Indo Global J. Pharm. Sci., 2020; 10(3):6-20.
35. Parmar A, Sonawane S, Chhajed S, Kshirsagar S: Development and Validation of RP-HPLC Method for simultaneous estimation of Telmisartan, Amlodipine Besylate and Hydrochlorthiazide in their tablet dosage form, Asian J. Pharm. Ana. 2017; 7(3):189-195.
36. Bhavin P M, Kunjan B B, Shailesh A S, Pintu B P, Bhavik H S, Shailja A D: Development and Validation of HPTLC Method for Simultaneous Estimation of Amlodipine Besylate, Hydrochlorothiazide and Telmisartan in Their Combined Tablet Dosage Form, Pharm Methods, 2016; 7(1):48-53.
37. Priyanka K, Deepali G: Simultaneous Estimation of Hydrochlorothiazide, Amlodipine Besylate and Telmisartan in Combined Tablet Dosage form by Using RP- HPLC Method. IJPSR, 2017; 8(1):268-276.
38. Jagirapu B, Harini U, Divya M, Sushma P: Simultaneous estimation of telmisartan and atorvastatin calcium in API and tablet dosage form. Journal of Drug Delivery & Therapeutics. 2019; 9(1):175-179.
39. Logoyda L: Efficient validated method of HPLC to determine amlodipine in combined dosage form containing amlodipine, enalapril and bisoprolol and in vitro dissolution studies with in vitro/ in vivo correlation, Pharmacia, 67(2):55-61.
40. Hamid MAA, Mabrouk MM and Michael MA: A fast and green reversed phase –HPLC method with fluorescence detection for simultaneous determination of amlodipine and celecoxib in their newly approved fixed dose combination tablets, Journal of Sepa ration Science, 2020; 43(16):3197-3205.
41. Nagamani P, Manjunath SP and Hemant Kumar T: Development and Validation of RP-HPLC Method for Estimation of Amlodipine Besylate and Celecoxib in Pharmaceutical Formulation, 2020; 10(6):31-36.
42. Ahmad S, Usman MGRM, Imran M, Bairagi VA and Patil RS: Development And Validation of Stability Indicating RP-HPLC Method of Bisoprolol and Amlodipine in Bulk and Pharmaceutical Dosage Form, Ind. J. of Applied Res., 2020; Vol-10 (5):52-55.
43. Ranganath MK, Kalyani Arikatla K, Deka P: RP-HPLC Method for Simultaneous Estimation of Candesartan and Amlodipine in Bulk and Pharmaceutical Dosage Forms, IJMPR, 2020, 4(5):133-138.
44. Attimarad M, Venugopala KN, Sreeharsha N, Chohan MS, Shafi S, Nair AB and Pottathil S: A Rapid HPLC Method for the Concurrent Determination of Several Antihypertensive Drugs from Binary and Ternary Formulations Sepa rations, 2021, 8, 86:1-16.
45. Sanap RM , Wavhale SR , Kunjir VV , Shete RV: Analytical Method Development and Validation for Telmisartan, Chlorthalidone and Amlodipine by RPHPLC Method, Int. J. of All Res. Edu. & Scientific Meth, 2021; 9(8):1861-71.
46. Chabukswar AR, Sakpal PH: RP-HPLC Accelerated Degradation Method Development and Validation for Determination of Amlodipine and Atorvastatin in Combination Dosage Form of Tablet, Indian J. of Pharm. Edu. and Res., 2021; 2(5):598-606.
47. Dinesh KS, Saravanan VS, Shankar RPR: Chemometric Optimization, Development, and Validation of RP-HPLC Method for The Simultaneous Estimation of Hydrochlorothiazide, Amlodipine Besylate, and Telmisartan inBulk and Pharmaceutical Tablet Dosage Form Using Experimental Design, Ijppr. Human, 2021; 22(4):235-248.
48. Rizk M, Toubar S, Ramzy E, Marwa H: Sensitive and validated TLC densitometry method coupled with fluorescence detection for quantitative determination of the newly co-formulated drugs, celecoxib and amlodipine besylate in tablet dosage form, Acta Chromatographica . 2022; 34(2):150-161.
49. Mistry RP, Shah C, Jat R: RP-HPLC Method Development and Validationfor Simultaneous Estimation of Telmisartan, Rosuvastatin Calcium and Amlodipine Besylate in Combination, Folia Medica, 2022; 64(1):103-109.
50. Bhura P, Diwan A, Patel and Ganju K: Analytical Method Development for the Estimation of Olmesartan and Amlodipine Bisilate Combination in Tablet Dosage Form by Using HPLC Method; 2022; 11(1):2060-2080.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
AUTHORS WHO PUBLISH WITH THIS JOURNAL AGREE TO THE FOLLOWING TERMS:
Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 Unported License. that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgment of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgment of its initial publication in this journal.
Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).