Evaluation of Toxic Effect of Phaleria macrocarpa (Scheff.) Boerl Leaf Extract on Hematological Parameters
Objectives: This current study was conducted to evaluate the toxic effect of P. macrocarpa leaf extract (Phaleria macrocarpa (Scheff.) Boerl) on hematology parameters in rats.
Design: The toxicity of ethanol extract of P. macrocarpa leaf was evaluated by OECD guidelines. The extract at doses of 100, 500, 1000 mg/kg body weight (bw), control satellite and satellite group dose 1000 mg/kg bw were orally administered to the test animal for 90 days. Hematological parameters were observed for 90 days and 118 days for treatment and satellite group, respectively.
Interventions: The variable that was intervened in this study was the doses of P. macrocarpa extract.
Main outcome measure: The main results in this study were the toxic effect of P. macrocarpa leaf on hematology parameters.
Results: The etanol extract of P. macrocarpa did not cause any changes in hematological parameters, these include red blood cells (RBC), hemoglobin, hematocrit, mean corpuscular volume (MCV), mean corpuscular hemoglobin (MCH), mean corpuscular hemoglobin concentration (MCHC), platelet, white blood cells (WBC), neutrophils, lymphocytes, monocytes, eosinophils, and basophils levels as compared to normal control (P>0.05)
Conclusion: The ethanol extract of P. macrocarpa leaf did not cause any toxic effect on hematological parameters for long-term use.
2. Nijveldt, R. J. (2001). Flavonoid : a review of probable mechanism of action and potential applications. America Society for Clinical Nutrition. 74. Pages 418-425.
3. Gopalan, H. K., Salih, D, N., Roslan, H, F., Azmi, N., Hing, H, L. Evaluation of Antibacterial Effect of Phaleria Macrocarpa Extract against Bacterial Species Isolated from Human Diabetic Wound Injuries using Scanning Electron Microscopy. Sci. Int. (Lahore),2015; 27(5), 4229-4233, 2015. ISSN 1013-5316; CODEN: SINTE 8.
4. Othman SNAM, Sarker SD, Talukdar AD, Ningthoujam SS, Khamis S and Basar N: Chemical constituents and antibacterial activitiy of Phaleria macrocarpa (Scheff.) Boerl. Int J Pharm Sci Res 2014; 5(8): 3157-62.doi: 10.13040/IJPSR.0975- 8232.5(8).3157-62.
5. Yosie A, Effendy MAW, Sifzizul TMT, Habsah M. Antibacterial, radical-scavenging activities and cytotoxicity properties of Phaleria Macrocarpa (Scheff.) Boerl leaves in HEPG2 cell lines. Int J Pharmac Sci Res. 2011;2:1700–6.
6. Chong SC, Dollah MA, Chong PP, Maha A. Phaleria macrocarpa (Scheff.) Boerl fruit aqueous extract enhances LDL receptor and PCSK9 expression in vivo and in vitro. J Ethnopharmacol. 2011; 137:817–27.
7. Hending W, Ermin KW. Benzophenone glucosideisolated from the ethyl acetate extract of the bark of mahkota dewa (Phaleria macrocarpa (Scheff.) Boerl.) and its inhibitory activity on leukemia L1210 cell line. Indonesian J Chem. 2009:142–5.
8. Kusmardi, K., Suryati Rahmah, R., & Estuningtyas, A. R. I. Anti inflammatory effect of mahkota dewa (Phaleria macrocarpa) leaf extract loaded in chitosan nanoparticles in reducing tumor necrosis factor α expression on colon of dextran sodium sulfat-induced mice. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Research, 2019; 11, 624-631.
9. Nor Fariza, J. Fadzureena, A. Zunoliza , A. Luqman Chuah , K.Y. Pin and I. Adawiah ,Anti-inflammatory Activity of the Major Compound from Methanol Extract of Phaleria macrocarpa Leaves. Journal of Applied Sciences, 2012; 12: 1195-1198.
10. J. G. Quinn, E. A. Tansey, C. D. Johnson, S. M. Roe, and L. E. A. Montgomery. Blood: tests used to assess the physiological and immunological properties of blood. doi:10.1152/advan.00079.2015. Epub 2016 Jan 20.
11. OECD. Repeated Dose 90-day Oral Toxicity Study in Rodents TG 408; 2008
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
AUTHORS WHO PUBLISH WITH THIS JOURNAL AGREE TO THE FOLLOWING TERMS:
Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 Unported License. that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgment of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgment of its initial publication in this journal.
Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).