Development and Evaluation of Chewable Tablets of Calcium and Vitamin D
The aim of research work was to prepare a formulation of calcium and vitamin D chewable tablets by wet granulation method using excipients and to evaluate the tablet properties. In this research work vitamin D3 was used as vitamin D. The blend was compressed on a rotary compresson machine. Tablets were subjected to various tests (weight variation, thickness, hardness and assay of calcium and vitamin D3 etc) and the results were in compliance with the pharmacopoeial specifications. All physical properties studied indicate that all excipients are good pharmaceutical excipients for tablets. The aim of this work was to minimise the complexity of formulation and to make cost effective product. Since tablets to be prepared are chewable so sweetening and flavouring agents are to be incorporated to make the tablet palatable and easily acceptable.
2. Scientific Opinionof the Panel on Dietatic products, Nutrition and Allergies on a request from Abtei Pharma Vertriebs GmbH on the Scientific substantiation of a health claim related to Calcium plus Vitamin D3 chewing tablets and reduction of the risk of osteoporotic fractures by reducing bone loss. The EFSA Journal, 2009; 1180:1-13.
3. Avenell A, Gillespie WJ, Gillespie LD, O Connell DL. The Cochrane Database of Systemic Reviews 3, 2005; CD000227.
4. Boonen S, Lips P, Bouillon R, Bischoff-Ferrari HA, Vanderschueren D, Haentjens P. The Journal of Clinical Endocrinilogy and Metabolism 2007; 92(4):1415-1423.
5. Homik J, Suarez- Almajor ME,Shea B, Cranney A, Wells G, Tugwell P. The Cochrane Database of Systemic Reviews 2, 1998, CD000952.
6. Tang BMP, Eslick GD, Nowson C, Bensoussan A. Lancet,2007; 370(9588):657-666.
7. Lachmann L., Liebermann H.A. and Kiang J.L.,The Theory and Practice of Industrial Pharmacy, third edition, Varghese Publishing House, Bombay,1998.
8. Cooper J. Gun C, Powder Flow and Compaction, Tutorial Pharmacy, New Delhi, CBS Publishers and Distributors, 1986; 211-233.
Indian Pharmacopoeia; Vol.II, Calcium and Vitamin D3 Tablets, 4466-4467.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
AUTHORS WHO PUBLISH WITH THIS JOURNAL AGREE TO THE FOLLOWING TERMS:
Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 Unported License. that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgment of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgment of its initial publication in this journal.
Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).