Syzygium Polyanthum Wight Leaf Extract Evaluation On Aedes Spp Instar III-IV Larvae
Aedes spp mosquitos are the vectors that most cause diseases. The rise of insecticide resistance is related to the increasing of vectorial capacity. Plant can be used as an alternative source for controlling these vectors, one of which is Syzygyium polyanthum (Wight). The present study was conducted to investigate the larvasidal properties of S. polyanthum leaf on Aedes spp instar III-IV. Ethanolic extract of S. polyanthum (EESP) was prepared by maceration using ethanol 70%. Larvae were divided into 7 groups (n=25, respectively). Group I to V consisted of different concentrations of EESP (100 (CI);150 (CII);200 (CIII);250 (CIV);300ppm (CV)); VI: Water (W) and VII : Temephos 1% (T). Larvacidal activity was evaluated by calculating the dead larva at 180. 360, 1440 and 2880 minutes to obtain Lethal Concentration 50% (LC50) and Lethal Time 50% (LT50) using Statistical Product and Service Solution (SPSS). The result showed that no larva found dead in W-treated group. Otherwise, the mortality of larva was increased with increasing of EESP concentration (CI to CV). LC50 and LT50 showed 213 ppm and 2410 minutes, respectively. We conclude that EESP has larvicidal activity on Aedes spp instar III-IV.
Keywords: Aedes spp, extract, larvicidal, Syzygium polyanthum
2. Owino EA. Aedes spp mosquitoes and emerging neglected diseases of Kenya. Int J Mosq Res 2018; 5(5):1-11.
3. Gizman, MG, Kouri G. Dengue: an update. Lancet Infect Dis 2002; 2:33-42.
4. Halstead SB. Dengue. Lancet 2007; 370:1644-1652.
5. Suaya JA, Shepard DS, Siqueira JB, Martelli CT, Lum LC, Tan LH, Armein B. Cost of dengue cases in eight countries in the Americas and Asia: a prospective study. Am J Trop Med Hyg 2009; 80(5):846-855.
6. Ardianto T. Pengaruh ekstrak bunga cengkeh (Syzygium aromaticum L.) terhadap mortalitas larva Aedes aegypti L. Surakarta: Fakultas Kedokteran Universitas Sebelas Maret 2008.
7. Kamaraj C, Rahuman AA, Bagavan A.. Antifeedant and larvicidal effects of plant extracts against Spodoptera litura (F.), Aedes aegypti L. and Culex quinquefasciatus Say. Parasitol Res 2008; 103(2):325-331.
8. Laurence M, Catherine D, Thomas G, Francis S, Marie V, Anna-Bella F. Phylogeography of Aedes (Stegomyia) aegypti (L.) and Aedes (Stegomyia) albopictus (Skuse) (Diptera: Culicidae) based on mitochondrial DNA variations. Genetics Res 2005; 86(1):1–11.
9. Widyawati T, Yusoff N, Asmawi M, Ahmad M. Antihyperglycemic effect of methanol extract of Syzygium polyanthum (Wight.) leaf in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats. Nutrients 2015; 7(9):7764-7780.
10. Dwiyanti RD, Dediq R, Thuraidah A. Daya bunuh ekstrak air daun salam (Syzygium polyathum) terhadap larva Aedes sp. Medi Lab Technol J 2017; 3(1):17-21
11. World Health Organization. Guidelines For Laboratory and Field Testing of Mosquito Larvicides. World Health Organization 2005.
12. Tennyson S, Samraj DA, Jeyasundar D, Chalieu K. Larvicidal efficacy of plant oils against the dengue vector Aedes aegypti (L.) (diptera: culicidae). Middle-East J Sci Res 2013; 13(1):64-68.
13. Sukumar K, Perich MJ, Boobar LR.Botanical derivatives in mosquito control: A review. J Am Mosq Control Asso 1991; 7:210–237
14. Su T, Mulla MR. Oviposition bioassay responses of Culex tarsalis and Culex quinquefasciatus to neem products containing azadirachtin. Entomol Exp Appl 1999; 91:337-354
15. Sanei-Dehkordi A, Soleimani-Ahmadi M, Akbarzadeh K, Salim AY, Paksa A, Gorouhi MA, Mohammadi-Azni S. Chemical composition and mosquito larvicidal properties of essential oil from leaves of an Iranian indigenous plant Zhumeria majdae. J Essent Oil Bear Pl 2016; 19(6):1454-1461.
16. Ojha K, Pattabhiramaiah M.. Evaluation of phytochemicals, larvicidal activity of Jatropha curcas seed oil against Aedes aegypti. Int J Appl Res Stud 2013; 2(12):1-12.
17. Ni'mah T, Oktarina R, Mahdalena V, Asyati D. Potensi ekstrak biji duku (Lansium domesticum Corr) terhadap Aedes aegypti. Bul Penelit Kesehat 2015; 43(2):131-136.
18. Velu K, Elumalai D, Hemalatha P, Babu M, Janaki A, Kaleena P. Phytochemical screening and larvicidal activity of peel extracts of Arachis hypogaea against chikungunya and malarial vectors. Int J Mosq Res 2015; 2(1):1-8.
19. Yulidar Y. Aktivitas gerak larva Aedes aegypti (Linn.) di bawah cekaman temefos. Jurnal Edubio Tropika 2014; 2(2).
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
AUTHORS WHO PUBLISH WITH THIS JOURNAL AGREE TO THE FOLLOWING TERMS:
Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 Unported License. that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgment of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgment of its initial publication in this journal.
Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).