The Potency of Artocarpus Heterophyllus Leaf as a Facial Skin Care Ingredient in Clay Mask Formulation
Artocarpus heterophyllus (Ah), common name as nangka, has been reported to have antidiabetic, antihyperlipidemia, antimicrobial and antioxidant activity. Balinese women used its leaves for facial treatment. This study aims to evaluate its leaf potency for facial skin care. Ethanol extract of Ah (EEAh) that obtained by maceration was prepared into 3 clay mask formulations (FI: 1%, FII:3% and FIII:5%). F0 was used as control group. A total of 12 volunteers were treated with clay mask to evaluate its effect on moisture and pores size after intervention. The data were analysed using Kruskall Wallis and Mann Whitney test. The results showed that skin moisture increased after intervention (FI:3.7%; FII:4.7%;FIII:7.3%). Pores size decreased in FI (6.3%) and FII (13.4%). Statistically, there were significant different between F0-F1 (p=0.043), F0-F2 and F0-F3 (p=0.046 of each). The present study conclude that clay mask containing A. heterophyllus leaf ethanol extract have potency to be used as facial skin care.
2. Nilforoushzadeh MA, Amirkhani MA, Zarrintaj P, Salehi Moghaddam A, Mehrabi T, Alavi S, Mollapour SM. Skin care and rejuvenation by cosmeceutical facial mask. Journal of Cosmetic Dermatology,2018; 17(5) 693-702.
3. Fowler JJ, Woolery-Lloyd H, Waldorf H, Saini R. Innovations in natural ingredients and their use in skin care. Journal of Drugs in Dermatology, 2010; 9(6 Suppl) S72-81.
4. Heyne K. Tumbuhan Berguna Indonesia Jilid II, Badan Litbang Kehutanan, Jakarta, 1987.
5. Baliga MS, Shivashankara AR, Haniadka R, Dsouza J, Bhat HP. Phytochemistry, nutritional and pharmacological properties of Artocarpus heterophyllus Lam (jackfruit): A review. Food Research International, 2011; 44(7) 1800-1811.
6. Siti. Perawatan tubuh alami ala putri Bali. Accessed from https://tipsperawatancantik.com,2016.
7. Siregar AB. Uji Antibakteri dan antioksidan dari ekstrak metanol daun dan kulit batang nangka sebagai campuran masker. Accessed from http://repositori.usu.ac.id;2018.
8. Novita W. Buku pintar merawat kecantikan dirumah-Kumpulan tips praktis dan murah merawat kecantikan dari ujung rambut hingga ujung kaki. Jakarta: PT. Gramedia Pustaka,2009.
9. Bernatoniene J, Masteikova R, Davalgiene J, Peciura R, Gauryliene R, Bernatoniene R, Muselik J. Topical application of Calendula officinalis (L.): Formulation and evaluation of hydrophilic cream with antioxidant activity. Journal of Medicinal Plants Research, 2011;5(6), 868-877.
10. Fang SC, Hsu CL, Yen GC. Anti-inflammatory effects of phenolic compounds isolated from the fruits of Artocarpus heterophyllus. Journal of Agriculture and Food Chemistry,2008; 56(12) 4463-4468.
11. Trindade MB, Lopes JL, Soares Costa A, Monteiro Moreira AC, Moreira RA, Oliva ML, Beltramini LM. Structural characterization of novel chitin-binding lectins from the genus Artocarpus and their antifungal activity. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta (BBA)-Proteins and Proteomics, 2006 1764(1) 146-152.
12. Khan MR, Omoloso, Kihara M. Antibacterial activity of Artocarpus heterophyllus. Fitoterapia,2003; 74(5):501-505.
13. Ko FN, Cheng ZJ, Lin CN, Teng CM. Scavenger and antioxidant properties of prenylflavones isolated from Artocarpus heterophyllus. Free Radical Biology & Medicine, 1998; 25(2):160-168.
14. Irfan YP. Aktivitas antioksidan ekstrak etanol daun nangka (Artocarpus heterophyllus Lam.) dan penetapan kadar flavonoid totalnya (Doctoral dissertation, Universitas Wahid Hasyim Semarang).
15. Zague V, De Almeida SD, Rolim BA. Mary KT, Valéria RVM. Clay facial masks: Physicochemical stability at different storage temperatures. International Journal of Cosmetic Science,2007; 29(6):488-489.
16. Harry RG. Harry’s Cosmeticology. 8th Ed. New York: Chemical Publishing Co. Inc.,2000; 471-483.
17. Tranggono RI, Latifah F. Buku Pegangan Ilmu Pengetahuan Kosmetik. Jakarta: PT Gramedia Pustaka Utama, 2007; 29-31:107.
18. Tricaesario C, Widayati RI. Efektivitas krim almond oil 4% terhadap tingkat Kelembapan kulit. Jurnal Kedokteran Diponegoro,2016; 5(4):599-610.
19. Hurlow J, Bliss DZ. Dry skin in older adults. Geriatric Nursing, 2011;32(4):257-262.
20. Noormindhawati L. Jurus Ampuh Melawan Penuaan Dini. Jakarta: Kompas Gramedia, 2013; 2(11):24, 84.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
AUTHORS WHO PUBLISH WITH THIS JOURNAL AGREE TO THE FOLLOWING TERMS:
Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 Unported License. that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgment of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgment of its initial publication in this journal.
Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).